Wednesday, April 29, 2009

green stuff

I do not have a lot of experiencing gardening, but this year, Rah asked if I'd like to share in the garden that she is planting for the first time in her back yard. So, under her super-organized instruction, I've been getting ready. We spent a chunk of Saturday digging beds, sifting rocks out of the soil, and counting the prolific earth worms.

More excitingly, I started my seeds a few weeks ago, and I now have a bevvy of shoots in my little window-side garden, waiting to get tough enough to head on outside. Every day, before work and again after, I go and check out my shoots. The peppers were slow-bloomers, and I thought I'd failed completely, but they are now shooting up left right and centre. The zucchini came up just when they were supposed to, and I've already transplanted two of them to larger pots. And, honestly, it's a miracle, how these little seeds turn into little shoots with 2 leaves, and then four, and then more and more until there's food. We'll see how they do when I actually put them in the garden, but at the moment, I am tranfixed with wonder every time I look at my little plants and all of the possibility they hold.

3 comments:

Jen said...

We've been growing seeds/plants in my classroom over the past week. My kids come into the class every morning excited to check out how much the plants have grown. I must say that I'm just as excited as they are! Glad to hear that your plants are growing well :) Good luck with your garden!!

Anonymous said...

I feel the same. Seeds --> food are miracles I hope I never tire of!! My second pepper plant sprouted today. Took it's merry old time, I think it's been 21 days.

-Rah

el Maggie said...

I now have fifteen peppers (so we have more than enough to put in the garden, Rah)! Next year, we will have to plant them earlier. Live and learn . . .